Arts, culture, ideas & expression of a few wild art monkeys living in an arts loft in Jersey City.


Friday, January 28, 2011

Kickin it old school with Mistress of Burlesque Ms. Melody Sweets.


JF- I first saw Melody perform in the back room of the 58 Gallery here in J.C. It was for local Artist Rob Piersanti's opening. I was blown away by her voice and the diverse cast of Burlesque performers she came through with that night. I remember keeping her card with hopes we'd be able to hire her down the line for one of our events.

Hearing your voice the first time was like jumping in a time machine to the days of old Hollywood or the prohibition night clubs.

- How long have you been singing?
MS- Wow, the 58 Gallery! That feels so long ago. . I've been singing for almost 10 years now but only 5 of them professionally.

JF. When did you decide that Burlesque was the vehicle for your voice and your artistic expression?
MS.I didn't decide! Burlesque decided it for me. I was in a band called GOODFINGER (www.goodfingermusic.com) & we decided to take a break from playing live shows in order to concentrate on the recording of our debut album... I really love to perform & missed the stage so when a friend asked me to be a part of his burlesque show, I wrote my first song to take my clothes of to, Slice of Heaven & the rest is herstory! :)
What was the draw? It was simple. I could keep singing. I also love the creative process of it all. I get to write music, work with musicians, record, come up with a concept for an act, design & make the costume, choreography... it's fabulous. It's alot of work, but it's still fabulous. :)

JF- Your act includes a variety of other dancers as well as elaborate props and even silver body paint with a futuristic element. Do you decide the themes of your performances or is it a collaboritive process between you and the performers.?
MS- I'll come up with the theme, etc., but anyone I work with, if they have a suggestion that makes it better, I'm all for it.

JF- You perform regularly at Duane Park and recently were part of the Dos Equis- Most Interesting Man's party. Which do you prefer, the smaller venues or the big elaborate events?
MS-I love them both, but I LOVE the big elaborate events. The smaller events are a really great way to showcase burlesque. It's more intimate this way & easier for the burlesque performer to connect with her audience.

JF- I've noticed that Pin-Up and Burlesque is really seeing a resurgence these days, especially in the tattoo world. What do you think has invigorated this reemergence?
MS- Hot babes.

JF-The music you sing may not be the same type of stuff you listen to, what sort of music are you listening to these days?
MS-I"m all over the place! I love jazz, reggae, classical... some of my favorites are Nina Simone, Bob Marley, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Edith Piaf, Blondie... I can go on for days..

JF- How about art? Any type of visual art do it for you?
MS-Yes, there's this artist John Fathom who's art I'm quite fond of. ;)
Also, artists like Kala Mandrake, Henry Horenstein, Steve Ellis & Luma Rouge are all wonderful artists that blow me away...

JF- ha your too kind. I have to warn you, I am VERY susceptible to flattery. I know you recently cut an album where can people hear/ buy it and what is the mood behind this one?
MS-We have ONE more song to record! It should be out this spring... I'm more than over-excited to release it! It features some phenomenal musicians: The Dap Kings (Amy Winehouse, Sharon Jones), Jesse Elder, Scott Tixier & more..
& John, you know I'll alert the masses once it drops! xoxo

Please do, it would be our pleasure to spread the word!

www.MelodySweets.com
www.goodfingermusic.com
www.horenstein.com
www.kalamandrake.com
www.stevellis.com
www
Thanx Melody!

No comments:

Post a Comment